I’m so thankful that when God calls us to a task He equips
us… and Randy Hill, Joel Beery, and Nick Torstensen are some of the most versatile and relatable
people I know. So, we began to introduce ourselves. They could care less who we
were at first or what we might be inviting them to. However, the idea of life sized projected play station 3 on
the wall at my house with pizza got their attention. Moms were relieved to have
a break and to hear that we were capable and willing to care for them. The guys
began to hang out, to connect, to know one another outside of school and to
have something to look forward to. They came to club and slowly we watched the
walls they’d carefully constructed fall with them and their families. While
Joel and Randy were with the guys, I got to spend some time with some
incredible moms, moms who left their own countries in search of better medical
care to keep their kids alive, moms who didn’t know their rights, the language,
or the systems they needed to navigate.
These brave mother, all but one being Mexican became my friends and
remain so to this day.
| Nick and Reynaldo just hanging out |
I could write about each of these guys, all but one of them
who’ve finished their lives on this earth and gone on to experience the LIFE
eternal they found in Jesus, but topday I want to tell you about my friend
Reynaldo whose body we laid to rest this morning. Reynaldo is the youngest of 7 brothers and sisters, a
traditional, close knit Mexican family who immigrated to Fresno. Everyone
worked and everyone helped, and though Reynaldo could not participate in this,
he longed to, he belonged as much as anyone. When his brothers were struggling
to stay out of gangs, somehow Reynaldo’s need, dependence and weakness seemed
to call them back to the family. Carmen, Reynaldo’s mother is one of the most
dedicated and gentle caregivers I’ve seen over the years. For 24 years she
cared for her son who needed more each day with dignity, tenderness, courage
and still held him before her God with an open hand.
| In the van, cracking a joke! |
Reynaldo’s quiet sense of humor only shined through when he really got to know you and felt
comfortable enough to crack his jokes and pull out some sarcasm. Usually in the
van on the way home from club when we’d sung, laughed, played, maybe cried,
Reynaldo would come alive. He liked to sit behind the driver and to be the last
one dropped off so his mom could rest a little longer. The stories we heard in
those long routes of drop offs, the jokes, the dreams… they were those of any
young man. He liked a girl he met at camp that he’d escorted to dinner and
wanted her phone number. He was excited about the 49ers. He wished more than anything he could
play soccer and run again. He was worried about another friend with MD. He was
scared of the progression of his disease, of what would follow, worried for his
mom.
![]() |
| Reynaldo and his dinner date |
![]() |
| On the way down from the ropes course and "flying" |
I’ll never forget the night at camp when I came in to hand
out medications once the guy leaders had gotten all the boys in bed. I sat down
next to his bed getting his heart medicine ready and he whispered, “Christen,
can I ask you a question and can you promise to be honest.” “Of course,” I
answered, I’m know for being pretty straightforward! His question caught me off
guard as we’d just been talking about the ropes course, club, the people he’d
met, “Christen, am I going to die from this?” I tried various routes “We’ll all
die someday Rey, we never know when or how,” his look told me this was not the
honesty he was looking for “MD is being researched all the time, Rey, who knows
what they’ll find…” What followed, I realized, was a soul level question, “No
one will give me a straight answer and I see it, I see my friends with MD dying
and no one wants to talk about it, am I going to die like that?” I broke… I shared
with him what I know of MD, of life expectancy, of research, of the ways the
prolong life and an honest assessment of how he still had a lot of life ahead
of him, and then with the gospel. Reynaldo decided that night that though his
life on this earth could soon end he wanted to be sure of eternal life and he
entered into a relationship with His Heavenly Father. He received the promises
and the future of a son of God and felt the relief sweep over him as he
confessed that he was a sinner and thanked Jesus for taking his place on the
cross. It was powerful.
| Reynaldo with 2 of his closest friends and leaders, JC and Nick |
Fast forward several years, several health setbacks, a high school graduation, adult transition program, a lot of hospital stays, a ventilator, feeding tube, and lots of visits with some of his favorite Young Life leaders visiting him is his bed at home and in the hospital. About a month ago, Christian and I were on our way home from church and I asked if we could just stop by and see him. I’m here recovering and haven’t been able to do much visiting, but he was on my heart. Christian and I sat in his room, now without his constant companion of a video game system or TV that he’d been glued to for years… replaced by machines to breathe for him, suction him, feed him. My friends body was tiny, weak, speech was labored. I sat by his bed and we talked again. This time, he told me he was going to die soon, that he was tired and weak and wanted to be done. We talked about this being a good thing, just what he’d prepared to do was now coming and he could prepare his heart to see Jesus. We talked about old times, looked at pictures, planned a Young Life leader reunion where he could see his friends one more time. The last thing I said to him as I left was, “hey, you’re going to see Jesus soon, it doesn’t get any better than that!” The reunion never happened, he was in and out of the hospital and too weak for visitors and then last Monday, Reynaldo slipped into eternity, into the arms of Jesus. He’s home. He’s free. He’s with several of our other friends who’ve made it home. I’m broken for his precious mom whom I watched weep anguish as his coffin was lowered into the ground yesterday and yet joyful for my friend. I’m honored to have been part of a small team called to seek out these boys and show them the way home. It was a treat to run into several of those kids at the funeral yesterday, may with non-degenerative diseases who are left to make sense of that pain and move on, and the parents of those who will soon face the end too. No real words, just a rich, deep, joyful, painful place to have been. Thinking about heaven, our real home! Iamginging my friends wholly alive in Jesus' presence!



3 comments:
Praise God for healing in Reynaldo's life thru following Christ! He is enjoying a new body in Christ!! Tears come from the privilege I had to have met him and see his love for Jesus and the others like him who still need to know the Savior! Thanks Christen for sharing.
Christen, so beautifully and powerfully said! Thank you for loving Jesus & loving these children of his!! I'm proud to be your friend :)
I remember like it was yesterday when all those boys came over to the peach house to play video games =-). So many good YL memories in that garage and big white van too. I'm glad that Rey has a new body and that he can run and play soccer again. His life and all the other MD boys impacted so many people. They have changed Randy and I's forever. We miss you Rey.
Post a Comment