Friday, July 8, 2016

A fruitful sabbatical!



It is becoming quite the joke among friends that I experienced a very fruitful sabbatical since announcing that we are expecting Baby Ara #2 in early January! That’s right, I am 15 weeks pregnant! All joking aside, it truly was a gift from the Lord in HIS timing as we entered sabbatical praying for our family to grow but holding loosely and we are delighted and I am especially grateful for the 9 weeks that were enough to carry me through the first trimester nausea and some of the exhaustion that goes with pregnancy.

 Aside from growing a tiny human, I believe the Lord did some work in me in an area that has always been challenging for me… slowing down, resting, finding rhythm and space. Most days, I napped with Abigail or took the time to read the Word or a book, journal or just be still. We had a wonderful week at the coast where Christian joined us for a weekend and then 3 of my lifelong friends (our parents having been friends since before any of us were born) joined Abi and I for some of the sweetest fellowship, adult coloring book therapy, walks on the beach, laughter that makes my sides ache, and rest. That week will remain etched in my memory for years. Friends from birth who know me and where I have come from so well… wow!

If there is one thing I could point to that God spoke to me during the sabbatical time, it was about Sabbath rest. I know I’ve heard it preached about, read it in the Word, had conversations about it, and toyed with it, but when the Holy Spirit speaks it to you, it changes. I have begun to understand the need to stop and look at my work, rest in satisfaction with what is done (as opposed to only seeing all that still needs to be done) and then pull away to rest. Its God’s created order. I am beginning to understand a little more of how deeply my soul needs and longs for this. I have made a commitment (now public) to observing, honoring and enjoying the Sabbath as we move forward. Life doesn’t stop, but work and ministry need to so that I can enjoy the Lord, those I love, and be refreshed. Somehow, Sunday lunches after church, afternoon naps and slow evenings have become more helpful to my soul and body than any amount of productivity could! Interesting, isn’t it?!
 
Christian and I also enjoyed a very special trip to Peru! THANK YOU to the many of you who prayed for safety, health, covering, protection and Sabbath rest while there. We enjoyed quality time with family and friends who are family that lingers even now with sweetness. Being home in the apartment Christian built for us, our first home with our bed, our furniture (all built by Christian) and our things reminds us of the simplicity of how our life together began. Christian’s ‘Abuelita’ is one of our most special people and at 92 we treasure every moment we have with her, enjoyed her cooking, and LOVED watching her play hide & seek with Abi. 

Doris and her small tribe of 13 children she is raising are Abi’s Peruvian cousins and the play and laughter were delightful to witness.  One Friday evening I brought art supplies for a fun night and Doris had office work to do, so I found myself with 14 kids and it was EASY, FUN, and so manageable. They are growing up and so helpful, responsible and excited to have ‘family’ come back and spend time with them.  Doris had a mini apartment ready for us so we could come and go from her side of town, rest or play as we needed. What a GIFT!  Watching little Raquelita (who I got to care for during the dirst year of her life) hold and play with her 'cousin' Abi was so special!


Time with Christian’s mother, an aunt, his father, cousins, siblings, and especially our niece and nephew from his siblings were so special! The squeals of laughter, watching Abi sign to her cousin as Samantha chatted away in Spanish had my giggling. 


A trip to the orphanage to visit kids that I deeply love who were part of the Capernaum ministry, a trip to see the kids a high school friend will soon be adopting was so special! 


A Sunday afternoon sunset walk at the coast where we had our first date and where Christian proposed to me with some of our dearest friends followed by coffee and empanadas… 

Reuniting with Rosana, our "Tia" and "Sister in Law" who lived with us for Abi's first year of life was as special for us as it was for Abi who delighted in holding Rosana's face in her hands and squealing and kissing Tia over and over again!

Our hearts are full. It was not without challenges as navigating a city of 10 million, a developing country can be, but we are deeply grateful for the Lord’s protection, many of your prayers, and the GIFT of belonging to more than one people, country, and community.  With another one on the way, we don’t know when we will be back, but we savored the moments and even returned with 10 days to rest and unpack before my return to work!

My return to work 2 weeks ago has been exciting and fun! I learned something while away… I loved the rest, but I also LOVE what I do and am convinced that it’s a privilege and I am still called to this work! Coming back felt thrilling. I was anxious to hear and see how God had been at work in the ministries I work with, the staff I support, and the camps I have been preparing for all year! I feel so grateful for those of you who support us in so many ways... with friendship, prayer, finances, encouragment, hospitality, and your love!

No comments: